Thursday 14 May 2015

My EVS!

I can’t remember the first time I heard about EVS, but I remember that I always knew that I wanted to volunteer. I regularly checked different EVS offers and in March 2014 I finally found a perfect project for me.

My project lasted 8 months and now as I’m back in Estonia I always look back on the project with a smile on my face. I think adapting to reality and to new situations is a very important characteristic to have when you are moving to a foreign country. Usually new beginnings are not easy and also for me it took some time to get used to my new job and a new life. I remember thinking that even though it can be hard at times in the end it’s going to be worth it. I think one of the most important lessons I learned was that if felt great to stand up for myself and by doing that I gained a lot of confidence. 

I often think about the patients who I spent time with. They were all always so friendly, cheerful and full of life and love. I most enjoyed the moments that happened spontaneously, when the patients danced and sang along the music, when I draw and solved puzzles with them or when I would just listen to music with them. Simple things like that would always make the patients so happy and it also taught me how small things in life matter a lot. 

Already during my first month I took part of trips, excursions and different events. I think it’s important to start doing things, visiting new places as soon as possible, as the time will go so quickly. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to spend my summer there as it was full of sunshine, travelling, parties and meeting with a lot of new people. I enjoyed all the trips to different islands like Mykonos, Zakynthos, Crete and to different cities like Thessaloniki and Nafplio but it also always felt great to be back in Athens. For me Athens felt like home already in the first months, I really liked living in this city and being part of this historical place.

During my time there I met with many amazing people and made a lot of wonderful memories. Athens and the people I get to know, will always have a special place in my heart.

Laura Piperal




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...